Chronicles of a New Mum: 10 Things I’ve Learned in the First Six Months
- You will sleep again. It may take some time (sometimes months and months), but babies do eventually figure out how to sleep for longer stretches. And when they do, you’ll feel like a changed woman. You’ll still probably be tired (because, after all, you’re in charge of another human), but a decent night’s sleep makes a world of difference.
- When babies start having a more regular, early bedtime (which for us was around the 3 month mark), you will be able to have a real evening again… even if it means making scrambled eggs for dinner and then promptly falling asleep on the couch while attempting to watch something on Netflix.
- You will unearth a talent for making ridiculous sounds and silly faces to get your baby to laugh (often in public – and you won’t even care).
- You’ll have very in-depth conversations with your spouse (and friends) about things like baby poop frequency, excessive drool, and breast pumps.
- Sometimes you’ll realize you’ve worn the same shirt three days in a row, and the smell of spit-up won’t even phase you.
- It will no longer take you an hour to get out of the house. You’ll still probably forget something you really need (like diapers or wipes), but you won’t panic because you know it’s better to just laugh (and then zip home before a diaper blowout occurs).
- You will be SO excited when you can squeeze back into something from your pre-pregnancy days. And if you still can’t zip those old jeans, get rid of them and buy a new pair that fits. It’s important to feel good in the body you have now. You’re only six months out! So, don’t be hard on yourself.
- You will have very impressive stroller maneuvering skills. There is no door you won’t be able to squeeze through.
- You’ll know that the really cute baby outfits should only be worn for photos (and the rest of the time a simple onesie or bodysuit is more suited for spit-up).
- Some days will be hard, some days will be a breeze. But a flash of your cute baby’s smile will make most things instantly better.